In other news, I am renewing my love for academia and the College of Education this week. As a part of the National Writing Project, UGA adopted a program entitled The Red Clay Writing Project. It offers graduate courses during the summer and I've fallen in love. The technology class I'm taking has created within me a passion for teaching writing that I never knew I would have. Most of you know that I am a closet creative writer, but I've never figured out how to bring that passion into a middle school classroom. When I was in seventh grade, I would write every day curled up on the couch at home. Try as they might, my family never convinced me to let anyone read those bizzare little stories I used to write. But, this class has shown me ways to help students find their voices. Today, on my lunch break, I perched at a picnic table outside Aderhold Hall with several other teachers. Bees buzzed by my ears, students trekked in and out of the building with their armor of books and laptops, and the sun cast shadows on all of our faces. At that moment, I remembered my purpose in life is to not only teach, to not only inspire, but also to keep learning for myself.
just doing our thing
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment